My personal experience in digital storytelling is that it is very helpful in projects to have some basic rules at hand. Things are getting complex very fast, so it makes sense to constantly ask your self where the center is and what basic principles can help you getting over the hurdles while developing the story.
Here are some useful rules from my point of view. If you have other experiences or interesting principles from your work. I would love to know, feel free to comment.
1. Have a Story that matters.
2. Define a minimal basic concept and structure but start fast and improve. Often there is a small window of opportunity to tell the story. If you are to slow or a real perfectionist, you will probably miss it. That would be very sad.
3. Understand your audience and get a precise idea of their needs.
4. Be collaborative. Digital Storytelling projects are very complex. Teamwork is fundamental. No dog-eat-dog mentality!
5. Be digital. Think about the great possibilities the digital world offers you.
6. Be a networker. Stay open to connect with others.
7. Be a researcher and think in analogies. Maybe someone else found already a great solution which can help you. This saves you energy on the long run.
8. Don´t be afraid of Technology. Let it just guide you the way.